If you find your hard-boiled eggs undercooked, can you reboil them? How about warming up leftover eggs?
Either you want your eggs warmed or perfectly cooked, you’ll benefit from our tips. Two questions will come to your mind. One, is it is still safe to eat reboiled eggs. And two, how do you reboil them?
We don’t want it to come out too tough and rubbery. That’s why we don’t reheat eggs in the microwave. It can also send them flying to the four corners of your microwave. So before we get all eggzoited, start scrolling below!
Reboiling Soft Boiled Eggs
If your eggs are a bit undercooked, you can reboil them until they come out perfect.
You need a cup of boiling water and undercooked eggs. You don’t need to boil it over the pan. Instead, all you have to do is transfer the undercooked hard-boiled eggs to a bowl and pour the hot water over it.
Make sure that they are fully submerged in the hot water. Then cover the bowl with a lid.
Wait for the temperature to go down then you can check if the eggs are already done. If the yolk is still too runny for your liking, you can return it to the bowl and let it sit longer.
Can You Reheat Peeled Hard-boiled Eggs
What if you already peeled the eggs and found that the yolk is too runny? Can you reheat them?
Yes, absolutely. You can simply put them back into the boiling water without any worries.
But what if you have already separated the whites and realized the yolk isn’t fully cooked? Well, you can’t put them back into the boiling water anymore. What you can do instead is get a microwave-safe oven, toss in the undercooked egg yolk and run it in the microwave for a few seconds or until the yolk gets a bit darker.
The Only Way to Reheat Hard-boiled Eggs
What if your hard-boiled gees are already perfect can you just want to reheat them?
There’s only one way to reheat hard boiled eggs. And we can also make use of the same procedure as reboiling undercooked hard-boiled eggs.
Alternatively, if you have kept an egg in the fridge, you can also reboil them by using the same technique mentioned above.
How Long Can You Keep the Hard-boiled Egg in the Fridge
If you made dozens of hard-boiled eggs and can’t eat them all at once, you can store them in the fridge. It’ll keep for at least a week and you can have it ready-cooked to top on your salads and make a hearty egg sandwich.
Protip: Eggs can release an off outing smell in the fridge. So before storing them, place them in a container with a lid.
Signs When a Hardboiled Egg Is Bad
Even if you have kept the hard-boiled egg in the fridge, it is still best to test them before devouring them.
How? Get a bowl and pour water into it. Then submerge the hard-boiled egg. If it floats, it’s already spoiled. And to avoid spillage, do not leave hard-boiled eggs at room temperature longer than 2 hours.
Can I Reboil Eggs in the Microwave
No, not unless you have already separated the whites from the yolk. Why?
Even if the egg is already cooked, it’s not safe to reboil eggs inside a microwave. The egg contains moisture inside the shell. The pressure caused will make the egg explode. It’ll be a mess in your microwave and you will not be able to eat the egg anymore. So it’ll be a waste.
The only way and best way to reboil eggs are by using hot water.
Can I Reboil Dyed Eggs
Yes, it’s possible if the dye used in decorating the egg is resistant to water. Otherwise, it will penetrate the already porous shell. And you don’t want to eat that.
But if you would ask us, we do not recommend eating reboiled decorated eggs. Even if you used food-grade paint for coloring, it’s best not to eat them.
How to Cook the Perfect Hard-boiled Egg
Cooking eggs is quite easy, right? Nah, not really! You’d be surprised to see how many people need to reboil their eggs because the yolk is too runny.
So we are tossing in some tips and guides on how to cook the perfect hard-boiled eggs.
- Fill a pot or pan a quarter way with cold water.
- Then slowly layer the eggs at the bottom of the pan
- Make sure that the eggs are covered by at least an inch. But keep in mind that the more eggs you have, the more water you need. For instance, if you have 6 eggs in a medium pit, submerge them in 1 inch of water. And if it’s 12 eggs, you need to submerge them in 2 inches of cold water.
- Turn on the heat and bring the water to boil.
Pro tip: You can use vinegar to prevent the egg whites from spreading into the pot should an egg crack. This will prevent a runny mess in the pot.
- After the water has boiled, turn off the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Let the eggs sit in a hot water bath for 10-12 minutes.
- You can also check one egg for doneness. Get a single egg and run it over cold water or ice water. Check if the yolk has been cooked to your liking.
- If the yolk is still a bit runny, let it sit for another two minutes.
- Strain the water from the pan and run the eggs under cold tap water.
You may also like: Can You Freeze Tortillas
What Can You Do With Hard-boiled Eggs
Aside from deviled eggs or a hearty egg sandwich, here are some creative ways on how you can use eggs.
Braised soy sauce eggs
Infuse delectable Asian flavors into your eggs. Now, where’s that cup of rice?
We need the following
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 star anise
- 1 spiced tea bag
- Peel off the shell from the eggs and set it aside.
- Heat water in a pot and add all the ingredients except for the eggs. Then lower the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Toss in the eggs and steep for a few hours.
- You may also leave the eggs overnight in the fridge. This will help the eggs absorb all the wonderful flavors.
Hard-boiled eggs casserole
Turn your leftovers into a hearty yummy breakfast dish!
We need the following:
- 10 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ cup sourcream
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 stick butter
- Ham about 6-8 ounces
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- Remove the shells from the eggs then set them aside.
- Cut the loaf into serving pieces and butter one side.
- Chop the ham and the eggs. Then layer them over the bread sliced on the buttered side.
- We will make the cheesy sauce on the stove. Add in all the ingredients and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the eggs and ham. Then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes.
It’s possible to reboil hard-boiled eggs. It will come in handy for breakfast. And you have eggs for your toast. And the safest and best way to reheat hard-boiled or soft-boiled eggs is by using hot water, nothing else.
Eva M. Smith is the owner of this website. She is a 4 year old mother of two and a professional chef. Eva loves to cook for her family, but being a working mom has a lot of challenges. From squeezing in time to do the groceries to make three meals for the day. Eva knows how challenging cooking can be without a kitchen gameplan.
That’s why she perfected techniques of preserving staple ingredients and several foods so that you have something pre-cooked or pre-baked to use for an array of meals. And they do not come short in flavor! And she does not want to sacrifice flavor with convenience. That’s why she is the best person to ask.