Eggs are high in proteins. So, it’s one of the top items in everyone’s diet. A lot of people have eggs for breakfast and evening snacks. Hence, it’s a common scenario that you have a leftover egg from the morning to use as an evening snack.
Now, can you reboil eggs? Yes, surely you can. The best method to reboil eggs is to use a pot and boil the egg in hot water. Make sure that the eggs are underneath the water. Know the process of cooking the perfect hard-boiled egg.
Why Do You Need to Reboil Eggs?
- They are undercooked. This is the most common reason.
- To make them more easily digestible.
- To kill potentially harmful bacteria like salmonella.
How To Tell if Eggs Are Not Thoroughly Boiled
- Crack it and inspect it.
- Do the spin test: Spin the egg much like any small object. Next, while it is spinning, tap on it to stop its motion and remove your finger quickly.
- If it continues to spin that means it is not fully boiled.
- If it stops it moving then it is fully cooked.
How to Reboil Eggs
Reboiling eggs or recooking eggs can be done in a few ways. I shall teach you the best and easiest methods.
1. On the Stove
This is the best method for recooking and reboiling your eggs. To do so you will need a few things.
Things you need:
- An electric or gas stove
- A saucepan or utensil that is big enough
- A bowl is full of ice water.
- Fill your utensil with water.
- Bring it up to a boil.
- Add the eggs.
- Depending on the current level of doneness, boil them for at least 3-5mins or longer.
- Using the tongs take the eggs out and shock them in the ice-cold water to stop the cooking process.
Use heatproof gloves and tongs when handling hot water and eggs.
2. Using a Bowl
This is also another effective method for recooking and boiling eggs. To use this method you will need the following things:
- A large deep bowl or pot.
- Boiling water.
- Tongs and gloves.
- Ice cold water.
- Fill up your bowl or pot with boiling water.
- Place the eggs inside the bowl by dropping them.
- Cover it and let it stay like that for a couple of minutes.
- If you feel that they are still not done enough then let them sit there for some more time.
- Take them out with the tongs and shock them in ice-cold water to stop the cooking process.
Pro Tip : This method works on peeled eggs as well.
Be Careful when handling eggs and hot water.
3. Using a Microwave Oven
If you separated your eggs, i.e separated the whites and yolks then use this method to recook them.
Things you will need:
- Ovenproof mits
- A microwave oven
- A bowl
- Place the eggs in a bowl
- Microwave the bowl and check at every 30-second intervals.
- Once you feel like they are at the correct level of doneness take them out.
NEVER MICROWAVE EGGS THAT STILL HAVE SHELLS BECAUSE THEY MAY EXPLODE!
Now let us take a look at a few important things.
How to Tell if an Egg has Gone Bad?
- Off smell
- The shells are leaking egg white and or yolk.
- They float on water.
Related Article: How to Reheat Scrambled Eggs
What Happens When You Eat a Bad Egg?
- Upset stomach
- Abdominal pain
- Bacterial infection from Salmonella, E. coli. Etc.
How to Cook the Perfect Hard-Boiled Egg
Cooking eggs is quite easy, right? Nah, not really! You’d be surprised to see how many people need to reboil their eggs because the yolk is too runny.
So we are tossing in some tips and guides on how to cook the perfect hard-boiled eggs.
- Fill a pot or pan a quarter way with cold water.
- Then slowly layer the eggs at the bottom of the pan
- Make sure that the eggs are covered by at least an inch. But keep in mind that the more eggs you have, the more water you need. For instance, if you have 6 eggs in a medium pit, submerge them in 1 inch of water. And if it’s 12 eggs, you need to submerge them in 2 inches of cold water.
- Turn on the heat and bring the water to boil.
Pro Tip : You can use vinegar to prevent the egg whites from spreading into the pot should an egg crack. This will prevent a runny mess in the pot.
- After the water has boiled, turn off the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Let the eggs sit in a hot water bath for 10-12 minutes.
- You can also check one egg for doneness. Get a single egg and run it over cold water or ice water. Check if the yolk has been cooked to your liking.
- If the yolk is still a bit runny, let it sit for another two minutes.
- Strain the water from the pan and run the eggs under cold tap water.
What Can You Do With Hard-boiled Eggs
Aside from deviled eggs or a hearty egg sandwich, here are some creative ways on how you can use eggs.
1. Braised Soy Sauce Eggs
Infuse delectable Asian flavors into your eggs. Now, where’s that cup of rice?
We need the following:
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3-star anise
- 1 spiced tea bag
- Peel off the shell from the eggs and set it aside.
- Heat water in a pot and add all the ingredients except for the eggs. Then lower the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Toss in the eggs and steep for a few hours.
- You may also leave the eggs overnight in the fridge. This will help the eggs absorb all the wonderful flavors.
2. Hard-Boiled Eggs Casserole
Turn your leftovers into a hearty yummy breakfast dish!
We need the following:
- 10 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 stick butter
- Ham about 6-8 ounces
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- Remove the shells from the eggs then set them aside.
- Cut the loaf into serving pieces and butter one side.
- Chop the ham and the eggs. Then layer them over the bread sliced on the buttered side.
- We will make the cheesy sauce on the stove. Add in all the ingredients and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the eggs and ham. Then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes.
You may also like: How to Reheat Little Caesars Pizza
Can you over-boil an egg?
Yes, it will ruin the texture and taste of the egg. Also, a green coating will form around the yolk.
Cook time for a runny egg?
Anywhere between 3 to 5 minutes.
How long do boiled eggs last?
If they are refrigerated, they are peeled for up to 5 days peeled and 7 days with peel.
What happens when you reboil eggs?
They will become harder and the shell becomes softer.
Do peel-boiled eggs last longer or without peel?
Eggs with peels always last longer.
Can you reboil soft or hard-boiled eggs?
Can you reboil-dyed eggs?
It’s possible to reboil hard-boiled eggs. It will come in handy for breakfast. And you have eggs for your toast. And the safest and best way to reheat hard-boiled or soft-boiled eggs is by using hot water, nothing else.
Everyone has different preferences for their eggs. Some like it runny and silky, and some like their eggs hard and moist. Now that you know how to reboil your eggs, I hope you will thank me when the tips and methods I mentioned here prove to be useful to you. Hope you have an EGGcelent day!