Rotisserie chicken is a multipurpose grocery store item. This pre-cooked chicken is an easy and tasty stand-alone meal. By pairing it with a couple of simple side dishes, you can easily repurpose the chicken in unique and countless ways.
It’s important to know how to reheat Rotisserie Chicken without drying it out:
- For reheating your rotisserie chicken, remove it from the packaging first. Then you can use the oven, stovetop, microwave, air fryer, or instant pot to heat it.
- To reheat quickly, use a microwave.
- To get the crispiest skin, use an oven.
- To get the juiciest result, use the stovetop.
Is It Safe to Reheat a Rotisserie Chicken?
Yes, reheating rotisserie chicken is safe if the temperature is maintained high throughout. Remember the rule of thumb always to make sure that the temperature of the chicken is 165°F after heating it.
You can use an instant-read meat thermometer to check the temperature.
Now, let me show you the methods of reheating rotisserie.
Method 1: Reheat Rotisserie Chicken Using Oven
By reheating a rotisserie chicken in the oven, you can get perfectly crispy skin and retain the moisture. So, if you have some extra time on your hands, using the oven is well worth the effort.
To Reheat Rotisserie Chicken in the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Take the rotisserie chicken out of its package and set it in an oven-safe dish.
- Pour a cup of chicken broth into the dish to retain the chicken moisture.
- Place the dish in the oven, covered in tin foil.
- Let the chicken cook for around 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil cover and roast for another 5 minutes to crisp up the skin.
- The chicken is ready to be sliced and plated up.
You may also like: How to Steam Chicken in a Rice Cooker
Method 2: Reheat Rotisserie Chicken in the Microwave
If you’re in a hurry and looking for a speedy solution, you can use the microwave to reheat rotisserie chicken. But it requires some preparation.
To Microwave Rotisserie Chicken:
- Remove the chicken from its packaging, separate the chicken from the bones, and slice the required amount of chicken into pieces or strips.
- Transfer the strips into a microwave-safe bowl or plate, wrap the chicken with a damp paper towel, and place it in the oven.
- Microwave it for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note : You need to separate the chicken from the bones because chicken bones heat up faster than meat. So, if you microwave the rotisserie chicken while keeping its bones, the temperature of the dish will be inconsistent.
Method 3: Reheat Rotisserie Chicken Using Air Fryer
You can use an air fryer to get extra-crispy chicken skin, and it does this faster than an oven.
To Reheat Rotisserie Chicken in the Air Fryer:
- Set the air fryer to 350°F.
- Place the whole chicken in the air fryer after removing the chicken from its packaging.
- Cook it for around 4 minutes to crisp and heat the chicken thoroughly.
Note : If you want to reheat only the rotisserie chicken pieces, place the pieces in the air fryer basket. Remember not to put too many pieces of meat at a time. After placing the meat pieces, cook them in the air fryer for around 5 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Method 4: Reheat Rotisserie Chicken on the Stovetop
If you want to reheat and get the juiciest chicken simultaneously, go for the stovetop method.
To Reheat Rotisserie Chicken on the Stove, follow the below steps:
- Separate the chicken from the bones and slice it into strips.
- On medium heat in the pan, pour three tablespoons of olive oil to coat its bottom.
- Pour a cup of chicken broth into the frying pan, add salt to taste, and lower the heat.
- Place the chicken pieces in the broth and let them simmer for 12 minutes. Add some stock if needed. Remember to turn the pieces halfway.
- Your juiciest chicken is ready to serve.
Method 5: Reheat Rotisserie Chicken in an Instant Pot
To reheat your rotisserie chicken quickly and evenly, you can use the instant pot’s pressure cooker.
To Reheat Rotisserie Chicken in an Instant Pot:
- Pour a cup of chicken broth into the instant pot.
- Set it to pressure cook, let it cook for about 5 minutes, and then release the lid pressure.
- After 5 minutes, your rotisserie chicken will be hot to serve right away.
Ways to Repurpose Rotisserie Chicken
Rotisserie chicken is one of the most versatile items to add to your grocery list. It can be used in so many different dishes. Such as:
- You can use this juicy and mildly flavored chicken to fill in samosas, pot pies, enchiladas, or other filled dishes.
- You can even use the separated bones of chicken rotisserie to make your chicken stock instead of using store-bought chicken stock.
- You can add shredded rotisserie chicken to your green salad for a healthy meal.
- You can also use shredded chicken rotisserie as a topping for your favorite nachos, pizza, or any other snack.
- You can satisfy your chicken noodle soup craving by stirring sliced skinless rotisserie chicken into your soup.
You may also like: Can You Reheat Fried Chicken in Air Fryer
How Many Times Can You Reheat Rotisserie Chicken?
According to the USDA, there is no fixed number of times you can reheat previously cooked rotisserie chicken.
However, keep in mind that the quality of the chicken can decrease with each reheating, so try only to reheat the required amount and refrigerate or freeze the rest of the chicken.
Can You Reheat the Whole Rotisserie Chicken?
Yes, of course. But be sure the whole chicken will fit in whatever reheating device you’re using, whether it be an oven, microwave, instant pot, air fryer, or even on your stovetop.
You must make sure that the entire chicken is heated thoroughly and consistently to avoid foodborne diseases.
Can Rotisserie Chicken be Frozen and Then Defrosted to Eat Later?
You can freeze it, but it’s better not to freeze a whole chicken keeping its bones. Instead, separate the bones and store the meat in smaller batches to use in the future.
Always use zip-lock bags to store chicken in the freezer, and remember to put the storing date on the bag.
Is It Safe to Microwave Rotisserie Chicken in Its Container?
No, because the plastic container can melt and stick to the chicken, making the chicken unsafe to eat. So, always use a microwave-safe dish to place the chicken in the microwave.
Signs to Tell Your Rotisserie Chicken Has Gone Bad
If your rotisserie chicken has a slimy texture or a sour odor, it means it has gone bad, so throw it out right away.
Also, NEVER taste-test your rotisserie chicken if you’re not sure about its freshness or safety. Discard it!
Tip : To keep the rotisserie chicken moistened, let the chicken cool completely before covering it in plastic wrap and placing it in a leakproof, airtight container in the fridge. It will last three to four days in the refrigerator.
- You can use many devices to reheat a rotisserie chicken quickly and perfectly.
- Reheated leftover rotisserie chicken can be the main ingredient for countless dishes.
- When in a hurry, go for microwaving.
- When looking for crispy chicken skin, use an oven or an air fryer.
- Using the stovetop method to reheat it will result in the juiciest chicken.
Monica Nash is the seniormost writer at limitlesscooking.com. She is excellent at designing the content, and she understands how the audience will receive each piece of work. And yes, she cooks very well! Her 3-year of experience and dedication make the whole team energized.