Rice cookers are a reliable kitchen appliance. It can help you cook rice to perfection. But did you know that it’s more versatile than you think? You can cook meat and a lot of your favorite food.
We’ll show you how to cook meat inside a rice cooker and more! These are kitchen hacks that can save youtube yet you can enjoy filling and hearty meals.
What Is a Rice Cooker
These are electrical and automated kitchen appliances that allow you to cook rice easily. Long before, you used to cook rice in a pot with a lid on a stove. Cooking this way often results in undercooked or overcooked rice. And if you’re not tracking the time, burnt rice can stick to the bottom of the pan.
Rice cookers prevent these kitchen mishaps from happening. You can get perfectly cooked rice even if you’re not a seasoned cook.
Rice cookers work by holding the water and steam inside. And this cooks the rice evenly and more efficiently. And once done, most cooker models have a warm setting that keeps the rice warm until you’re ready to eat.
How to Cook Meat Inside a Rice Cooker
A rice cooker is a convenient kitchen appliance. It will help you cook meat faster and evenly. Aside from beef, you can cook a variety of meat and fish too.
Fresh and Frozen Dumplings
If you don’t have a bamboo steamer, you can use your rice cooker to cook or heat perogies or Chinese dumplings. Take note that you need a cooker with a steamer basket. If you don’t have one, you can buy or improvise by using a suitable wooden rack.
- Fill the cooker with 1.4 inches of water.
- Cover the lid and turn it on the rice cooker or choose the high setting. This will bring the water to a low boil.
- Attach the steamer basket to the rice cooker. Alternatingly, you can use improvised steam that you can place on top of the pot.
- You may also adjust the water as needed. Then line the steam basket with parchment paper.
- Place the frozen dumplings inside and cook for 15 to 25 minutes.
- If you’re cooking fresh dumplings, the same procedure applies. Just cook the dumplings longer until the pork or meat is thoroughly cooked.
Pork and Other Meat
A rice cooker can also function as a slow cooker to make pork and other types of meat dishes.
- Toss all the ingredients in the rice cooker.
- Make sure to put in all the herbs and seasoning along with the meat.
- Set it to a normal cooking cycle. When it’s near boiling, switch to the keep warm mode and let it cook for an hour. You may check the meat once in a while to see if it’s done already. But be careful not to open the lid too much as the heat will dissipate. And this will interfere with the cooking.
- Alternatingly, there are cookers that have modes for a slow cook function for meats. You may also select this one.
Steamed Whole Chicken
You can make rotisserie chicken even if you don’t have a convection oven. This hack is very useful for students living in dorms. The steamed chicken will be moister compared to roast or grilled chicken.
- Use the steamer rack that comes with it.
- Place two and a half cups of rice in the cooker.
- Place the chosen cuts or you may also place the entire chicken.
- You may add your preferred spices and seasonings in the water or rub it directly on the chicken.
- Cover it with a lid and press the cook function. It will take approximately 20 minutes to steam the chicken.
Ribs cooked in a rice cooker? Yes, you heard it right! You can make this in 15 minutes.
- Switch the cooker on. We need to preheat it first.
- Coat the slab of ribs in brown sugar. You can also add a bit of oil.
- Put some oil on the cooker and toss it in the ribs.
- Once the ribs are slightly brown, you may put on some beer, ½ cup of barbecue sauce, and some Worcestershire sauce.
- Return the lid and cook for an hour.
- Let stand for long or keep warm until the sauce thickens.
How to Make One-Pot Meals Using Rice Cookers
One-pot meals are a game-changer. You can enjoy nutritious and yummy meals with meat even if you’re on the go. And here are some of our favorite one-pot meals that you can easily whip up using your trusty cooker.
Chicken and Rice
The chicken will come moist and steamed to perfection. Moreover, the juice from the chicken will trickle down into the rice. This will create a tastier chicken and rice meal.
- Put one cup of rice with three cups of water in the cooker.
- Sprinkle with salt or any other preferred seasoning.
- Place half a chicken on top of the rice. Adding the meat in the rice will give more flavor to it.
- Cover and press cook.
Steamed Rice and Veggies
Cooking vegetables together with rice can save a lot of time. Moreover, you can use broth to cook the entire meal. This will result in a tastier one veggie rice dish.
- Place the rice in the cooker as you normally would.
- Start with the rice first. And when it’s almost done, attach the steamer rack.
- Place the vegetables in the steam rack.
- The veggies will be done at the same time your rice has finished cooking.
Soups and Stews
This is pretty easy to make a cold rainy day.
- Just toss everything into the pot.
- Then add enough water to make a soup.
- Close the lid and press cook.
- And when the soup is almost done, hit the warm option.
- You can pour more water if the soup still looks undercooked.
You may also like: How Much Minced Garlic Equals a Clove
- Pour about 2 cups of water into the pot.
- You have to use a steam rack for this one.
- Season the fish according to your liking. Then place the fish on the steam rack.
You may use a timer to avoid overcooking the fish. This usually takes 20-25 minutes.
Can Rice Cooker Be Used for Baking
Good news for your sweet tooth! If you don’t have a convection oven, you can use a rice cooker to whip up sublime and amazing desserts.
Cheesecake isn’t hard to make. You can satisfy your cravings anytime!
- Just mix all the ingredients in the cooker bowl.
- Grease the cooker with melted butter then add the cheesecake batter.
- Then switch on the normal cooking cycle.
- Cook for 70 minutes.
- Transfer the cheesecake to a plate and sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
Make yourself a classic chocolate cake that can pair up with your favorite cup of joe.
- Mix all the internet in a bowl.
- If you’re using a package mix, mix according to directions.
- Grease the rice cooker using butter or oil.
- Set the rice cooker to slow cook mode and leave for an hour.
- Check the cake for doneness after 45 minutes. You can use a toothpick.
- Poke the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, it’s done.
This healthy and yummy banana-flavored bread is a perfect snack on any day.
- Smash the bananas. Then add the egg, sugar, vanilla, and flour.
- You can also use a packaged mixture. And mix according to directions.
- You can also add in chocolate chips or walnuts.
- Grease the bottom of the cooker with butter or oil.
- Leave for 90 minutes.
Can You Fry Stuff in a Rice Cooker
Rice cookers cannot get hot enough so you won’t be able to deep fry foods. However, you can easily stir fry vegetables and meat.
- Turn the rice cooker on.
- Pour in oil. And allow it to sizzle a bit.
- Toss in the garlic, onions, and other seasonings.
- Stir fry veggies or meat until done.
How to Make Oatmeal in a Rice Cooker
Using a rice cooker to make oatmeal is quite foolproof. You just leave it and wait for it to cook as you would with rice. You can have breakfast in a jiffy!
- Mix 1 cup of regular oatmeal or steel-cut oats.
- Then add 1 13/4 cups of water. You can add more water if you want a thinner consistency.
- Add a pinch of salt
- Close the lid and choose the porridge option of your rice cooker. It will beep once it is done.
- You can also choose the steam option of your rice cooker.
These cooker hacks are a definite game changer. It can help you create healthy and yummy meals in a jiffy. It’s amazing how you can make beef, pork, fish dishes, and pretty much any meat. You can also make desserts and treats with just one kitchen appliance.