Have leftovers from Christmas or Thanksgiving? Or did you buy a lot of pie and now you can’t finish it? Regardless of the case, it is hard to say no to apple pies. It is a must-have item and an excellent finisher to any meal. Today I shall teach you all that you need to know about storing apple pies, how to refrigerate them, and more.
First of all, you need to know if your apple pie is still good or not.
How to Tell if Apple Pie Has Gone Bad?
There are a few signs by which you can easily tell if your apple pie has gone bad.
- Mold or fungal growth.
- Bugs or insects in it.
- Foul or off smell.
- In the case of store-bought pies, if it is past their expiration date.
Discard the pie and throw it away if you see any of these signs. Eating such a thing can make you very sick, and in the worst-case scenarios, it could also mean a trip to the hospital. Also, it is always good to throw away rotting food as it can cross-contaminate and spoil your other food products.
Now that you know if your pie is still good or not let’s see how you can store it.
You may also like: Does Pecan Pie Need to be Refrigerated
How to Store Apple Pie
Apple pie can be stored in many ways. But the ingredients it was made with and how it was made decide how to store it properly.
In the case of uncooked apple pies, you must freeze them. On the other hand, cooked apple pies can be kept both outside or inside the fridge based on what ingredients were used. Let us further look into this:
Apple Pies That Don’t Require Refrigeration or Freezing
- Store-bought and mass-produced: The reason for that is that usually, store-bought pies have a lot of sugar and sugary substances. Sugar acts as a preservative. So you can easily keep them outside the fridge in airtight containers or pie domes.
- Not custard or egg-based: If your apple pie does not have any eggs in it and is not egg-based, you can keep it in your kitchen/dining table, etc., without spoiling it.
Apple Pies That Must be Refrigerated or Frozen:
- Raw or uncooked: If you prepared some apple pie beforehand, you can and should freeze it directly inside the freezer. Wrap the pie in cling film or aluminum foil and freeze it.
- Egg-based or custard-based: If your pie has eggs, you must refrigerate it if you plan on finishing it soon. If you want to store it for a long time, freeze it in the freezer. Use airtight containers or cling film to store it.
Egg-based products or products that contain eggs usually need to be refrigerated. According to food safety and hygiene rules, products containing eggs must be refrigerated if they are not to be consumed immediately.
: You can directly bake frozen uncooked apple pies or any other pies.
: Allow refrigerated pies to reach room temperature before consuming them.
: You can even microwave it and add a scoop of your favorite ice cream on top for a naughty twist.
: If you don’t plan on storing your pie for a long time; you can refrigerate it in the pan you cooked it in.
How Long Does Apple Pie Last?
How long does apple pie last inside the fridge or freezer?
- It can last for up to a week easily inside the fridge.
- It can last from 6 months to even a year inside the freezer.
How long does apple pie last outside the fridge?
- If kept airtight, apple pies can last up to 2 days outside the fridge.
- Alternatively, you can place it in pie domes, which can last for 2-3days.
You may also like: Does Pumpkin Pie Need To Be Refrigerated
Can you leave apple pie out overnight?
Yes, but it must be kept covered and preferably airtight.
Does apple pie go bad inside the fridge?
Like any other food, apple pies, too, can go bad inside the fridge/
Can apple pie be left out?
Apple pies can easily be left out for a day or two.
What can you add to apple pie?
You can add a lot of ingredients to apple pies, for example, sour cream, ice cream, whipped cream, yogurt etc.
If you have leftover apple pie, they won’t last long. Not because they will go bad, but because someone is bound to eat them on sight. But if you do wish to store them for a few days, I hope the information I provided will prove to be helpful. If you have easy and tasty apple pie recipes, please share them with me.
Eva M. Smith is the owner of this website. She is a 4 year old mother of two and a professional chef. Eva loves to cook for her family, but being a working mom has a lot of challenges. From squeezing in time to do the groceries to make three meals for the day. Eva knows how challenging cooking can be without a kitchen gameplan.
That’s why she perfected techniques of preserving staple ingredients and several foods so that you have something pre-cooked or pre-baked to use for an array of meals. And they do not come short in flavor! And she does not want to sacrifice flavor with convenience. That’s why she is the best person to ask.