When it comes to convenience in the kitchen, the microwave is king. People on the go know this rather well. Though it’s not advisable to cook every food in the microwave, reheating foods in the microwave has been the norm. Whether it’s microwaveable popcorn or frozen dinners, you can’t go wrong.
But what about frozen french fries, can you microwave them? French fries make up for an easy and tasty snack. Those golden crispy fried potato strings and wedges are also the perfect snacks when you’re Netflixing, so to speak. Well, they are tied with popcorn haha.
So we are going to dabble on if you can put frozen french fries in the microwave and how to. Keep scrolling.
Should You Use the Microwave for Frozen Fries?
Microwaves are the ultimate cheat when it comes to food prep shortcuts. You can enjoy leftovers reheated in just minutes.
But what about frozen fries, can you toss them in the microwave? Well, technically yes. But if not done properly, it can result in soggy fries. You want your fries to be crispy on the outside but still soft on the inside. With the proper technique, the microwave can make your frozen fries too soft, chewy, and just downright appetizing.
How to Microwave Frozen Fries
Unless you use this method, you will come up with mushy fries. Since they came out of the freezer, they could have stored a lot of water. That’s why the oven is often used for frozen fries.
But this microwave hack will still allow you to make one.
- The key is to microwave the frozen fries in small batches and maintain your microwave at 600- 880 watts. Overcrowding the french fries can lower the temperature and can make them mushy.
- Prepare a baking sheet. This will help maintain the hot temperature of the microwave.
- Get around the microwave-safe container and lay down the fries. Lay the baking sheet over the container.
- Make sure to scatter the french fries evenly. Don’t just toss them on the platter. Rather make sure that they are scattered. Ideally, don’t go over 250 grams of fries per batch.
- Microwave the fries for 2-3 minutes. Then turn them over for even cooking.
- Repeat this process multiple times until you come up with golden crispy fries. Normally, it would take 8-10 minutes.
- Do not overheat the fries as this can lead to moisture loss. You don’t want to come up with burnt and dried fries.
Related Article: How to Fry Frozen French Fries
Reheating Frozen Fries in the Oven
Another method of making fries is by using the oven. And here’s how to do it.
- Preheat the oven to 400 to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Get an aluminum foil and layer it over the baking tray,
- Layer the frozen fries on the aluminum foil. Be sure not to overcrowd the baking tray as it can lower the temperature. This can result in uneven cooking and soggy fries.
- Drizzle a little bit of oil over the fries. Heat for 5- 10 minutes.
- You can also add some seasoning if you fancy.
- You may open the oven and shake the tray once in a while to avoid burning.
- Once the frozen fries start to crisp, it’s time to take them out of the oven.
How to Reheat Frozen Fries in the Skillet
If you don’t have an oven or a microwave, you can use the stove to reheat your frozen fries.
- Grab a medium or large skillet. Make sure it’s heavy-bottomed to accommodate the frozen fries.
- You need oil with a high smoking point. Turn the stove on medium heat. Then pour some oil into the skillet and heat until the oil sizzles.
- Toss in the frozen french fries on the skillet. Toss the skillet once in a while to stir the fries.
- Don’t be tempted to add more oil during this process. This will make your fries soggy and oily.
- Once the fries are golden, take them out off the stove.
Using the skillet to cook frozen fries is quite tricky. You have to be in control of the flame. If it’s too hot, you’ll scorch the fries. And if it’s not adequately hot, you’ll end up with limp and soggy fries.
Tips on Making Crispy Fries in the Microwave
No one wants soggy and greasy french fries. So you will always want to make your fries golden brown and crunchy. And this can be tricky to do so in the microwave.
We’re going to toss in some tips on how to do just that.
- You can use a little bit of vegetable oil to add moisture to the fries. But do not put too much as this can make it soggy and oily.
- Always use a baking sheet. This is the key to making the heat of the microwave. You need even heat to prevent the fries from becoming limp.
You may also like: Can You Freeze Cottage Cheese
While not everyone can make golden french fries out of the microwave, this new product can help everyone make golden fries.
There’s a company that makes frozen fries that are designed to be cooked in the microwave. The frozen french fries come in boxes and they are laid separately for easy cooking.
Are frozen fries already cooked?
Yes, they are. That’s why it takes only minutes to make them because you will only be reheating them.
Should I defrost frozen fries before cooking?
No, frozen fries are designed to be cooked while still frozen. It’s not like chicken or any meat that needs to be thawed first. If you thaw them, they will absorb more fat and oil. Thus, you’ll end up with greasy and oily french fries.
Though it’s not really common kitchen practice to use the microwave for frozen fries, it is still possible if done carefully. Our hack and technique will help you make crispy golden fries in the microwave as discussed above.
Eva M. Smith is the owner of this website. She is a 4 year old mother of two kids and a professional chef. Eva loves to cook for her family, but being a working mom has a lot of challenges. From squeezing in time to do the groceries to make three meals for the day. Eva knows how challenging cooking can be without a kitchen game plan.
That’s why she perfected techniques of preserving staple ingredients and several foods so that you have something pre-cooked or pre-baked to use for an array of meals. And they do not come short in flavor! And she does not want to sacrifice flavor with convenience. That’s why she is the best person to ask.