Baked potatoes are a very popular dish worldwide, and rightly so. But can you freeze baked potatoes? Can you make them well in advance and enjoy fresh-baked potatoes every time you crave them?
The answer is simple, yes!
Baked potatoes- whether whole, stuffed or twice-baked- is a dish that holds excellently when frozen. While most people are unaware of this magic life hack, those who know it have been freezing their baked potatoes in large batches in advance for years. It applies both to leftovers and potatoes baked specifically for freezing!
But if you are going to freeze your dish, make sure that you are fully informed about how you can maximize the output of the process by doing it the right way. Keep reading to find out!
Can You Freeze Baked Potatoes In Advance?
You will be so glad to know that you can. Trust me, it saves up so much time and effort to just prep your potatoes in advance and store them for when you need them. All you will need is some aluminum foil, some heavy-duty plastic zip lock bags, and your baked potatoes.
How can you freeze baked potatoes? Follow these steps.
- First and foremost, let your bakes potatoes cool down to room temperature. It is best to not add any seasonings if you are going to freeze them.
- Cover every single potato in aluminum foil. Make sure there are no exposed parts left that could come in contact with the freezer.
- You can also choose to wrap them in double plastic wrap.
- Go ahead and place the wrapped potatoes in a freezer bag and squeeze out as much air as you can.
- Keep these bags in the freezer and you’re done!
Keep in mind that almost done potatoes generally taste better upon reheating than one’s who have been completely baked.
Can You Freeze Baked Potatoes That Are Fully Done?
With potatoes that have been fully done in the oven, there is a slight variation to how you would normally freeze them. If you are someone who likes to bake their potatoes completely and then freeze them, you should consider the following steps.
- Before baking, poke a few holes in your potatoes.
- Once they have been fully baked let them cool down to room temperature on a baking rack.
- Place the potatoes in the freezer and freeze them uncovered for 45-60 minutes.
- Take them out and wrap them in individual foil.
- Place these potatoes in your ziplock bags and then go ahead and freeze them.
- The same goes for leftover potatoes.
Can You Freeze Potatoes That Have Been Twice-Baked?
Is twice baked potatoes the best dish in the world? Probably, yes. Can you freeze them in advance to enjoy this delicious dish whenever your family craves it? Definitely yes!
Twice-baked potatoes are one of those dishes that take up a lot of your kitchen time. It is worth it, yes. But by the time you are done making it you are so exhausted that you cannot enjoy them right. But be prepared to have your delicious twice-baked potatoes ready in the blink of an eye!
To enjoy them fresh, you need to freeze them right.
- Go ahead and make your potatoes with your preferred recipe. I recommended this one!
- Make sure to not fully bake them the second time. Avoid adding green onions to your potatoes since you will be freezing them. You can add them later.
- Let the potatoes cool down to room temperature.
- Wrap each potato in a foil wrap and store them in a zip lock bag.
- You can defrost them whenever you like and they’ll be fresh as new! Just add a topping of cheese and green onions and reheat them!
Tip: If you are like me and do not have the patience to wait for the potatoes to defrost, you can just follow this simple hack. Just wrap your room temperature potatoes in plastic wrap before you cover them in a foil wrap. This will prevent the foil from sticking to the potatoes and you can easily remove it to pop it straight into the oven.
How Long Do Baked Potatoes Last In The Freezer?
While baked potatoes that haven’t been exposed to direct air can last up to 2-3 days in the refrigerator. If kept right, frozen baked potatoes have a shelf life of 10 to 12 months! People still usually recommend using them within the first two months, but they will keep safe in the freezer for almost a year.
The best way to make sure you aren’t using potatoes that have gone too stale is to keep a track of the exact date you froze them. You can ideally make a marking or add a label to your ziplock bag that mentions the date you baked and froze the potatoes. This way you can avoid eating them past their expiry, and if you make multiple batches at once, you can even use the ones closest to the expiry first!
How To Thaw Frozen Potatoes?
Ideally, you need to thaw your frozen potatoes in the refrigerator overnight, or at least for 6-8 hours. But if you are in a hurry, you can also use the quick way out. The microwave will be your savior in these situations. You will just need to remove your potatoes from the aluminum foil, place them in a microwave-safe dish, and reheat them until they achieve room temperature.
I would still recommend defrosting them the old fashioned way. But I won’t really blame you if you chose the microwave over it. After all, who has the patience. Right?
You may also like: Can I Microwave Milk
How To Reheat Your Frozen Potatoes?
Since you have already baked your potatoes to delicious goodness, there is not much left to do now. All you need is your oven. Add all the spices and ingredients you want, and don’t forget to add the cheese and green onions!
- If your potatoes have already thawed to room temperature, place your unwrapped potatoes in your baking dish and bake to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes.
- If you wish to directly bake your frozen potatoes, unwrap them and place them in your baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil, add your cheese, and bake for another few minutes or until they are warm.
Can I freeze raw potatoes?
Whatever reason you need your potatoes for, it is best to at least partially cook them before you put them in the freezer. This increases their shelf life.
Can I freeze cooked potatoes?
The key to freezing cooked potatoes is to first freeze them uncovered until they are solid, and then to cover them up with aluminum foil and store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Cooked potatoes when frozen may experience slight texture changes, and you need to use them in 2-3 days.
Can I freeze leftover potatoes?
Leftover potatoes can make a good meal the next day if stored right. It is generally best to use them within 2-3 days since they have already been cooked and seasoned.
What can I do with old potatoes?
Freeze them! Whatever dish you like, you can prep your potatoes in advance and freeze them for when you want them. Whether it is french fries, hash browns, bakes potatoes, or potato soup! Freezing them will even increase their shelf life, and save you from a lot of effort.
If you ask any potato enthusiast around the world, they will tell you that potatoes are one of the few dishes that taste just as good, if not better, when frozen. There are innumerable options as to how you can bake your potatoes, and the good news is that even the fanciest of potato dishes can be frozen in advance!
All you need to do is make sure that you wrap them right and freeze them in an airtight bag. The freezer will take care of the rest. And as for when someone else asks you ‘Can you freeze baked potatoes? Really?’, give them a big smile and tell them the good news.
Eva M. Smith is the owner of this website. She is a 4 year old mother of two and a professional chef. Eva loves to cook for her family, but being a working mom has a lot of challenges. From squeezing in time to do the groceries to make three meals for the day. Eva knows how challenging cooking can be without a kitchen gameplan.
That’s why she perfected techniques of preserving staple ingredients and several foods so that you have something pre-cooked or pre-baked to use for an array of meals. And they do not come short in flavor! And she does not want to sacrifice flavor with convenience. That’s why she is the best person to ask.